Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Three Magical Phrases to Create Harmonious Relationships

Here are three magical phrases that, when used frequently and sincerely, will create more harmonious relationships at work and at home.

Every boss, every spouse, every associate and friend longs to have someone who is willing to help out. They want someone who will step up to the plate and say “I would be happy to do it” when there is work to be done.

When you see a problem, resolve it. When you see something needs to be done, do it. If the dishes need to be washed or clothes need to be picked up, take care of it. Don’t wait to be asked or told to do so.

One thing I’ve found to be helpful when I see something that needs to be done at home or at work is to ask myself, “If I don’t do it, who will? And, if not now, when?” If I answer the first question by stating someone else’s name instead of my own (like my wife’s), I then ask myself, “Why should he or she have to do it instead of me?” What I've found is there usually isn’t a very good answer to the second question other than, “They shouldn’t have to. I can do it myself.”

People shouldn’t have to ask for your help. You should be happy to do it. Good employees and good spouses notice what needs to be done and they do it.

Sometimes, however, as you go about doing things you will make mistakes. When that happens you need to say, “I’m sorry”. Say it sincerely. Say it quickly. Most people respect others who readily admit when they are wrong.

But what people really appreciate is when someone says to them, “You’re right”. People want and need their opinions and ideas to be recognized, valued and appreciated. Few things satisfy the soul more than to hear we’re right. And nothing ends an argument faster than telling the other person they are right.

The best things you can do to create harmony at work and at home are to pitch in, admit when you’re wrong and let other’s be right. Using these three phrases regularly will produce magical results.

No comments:

Post a Comment